Lovin' the Mac

Dedicated to all things cool about the Mac


Wednesday, July 23, 2008

24" iMac or Expensive Paper Weight ?

Our good friend Oddbod, has had dilemma after dilemma with his shiny aluminium iMac. I thought I should definitely share his story with the world:-

"Well it's official my iMac is one very expensive paper weight!!!!! After having gone through the Mac Doctors (which were great by the way) with repairs complete, I returned home to find it only turned on for one day. I shut it down when going to bed, only to find the next morning it won't turn on at all.

There is some question around a faulty keyboard, mouse or any external connection that may be causing some form of short in the power system - however having eliminated this potential, because with nothing at all plugged in (apart from the power chord) it still won't turn on.

So you say what are Apple doing about it ? Well, I have just been on the phone with Apple Customer Relations and found a pretty good person there, who is certainly prepared to look at replacing the entire iMac, however is exploring all the known issues, reports with Apple's tech support to be sure that a new iMac won't result in the same problem. At least they are being thorough.

So there you go, even though I bought the iMac late last year, I have probably only had full use of it for about 3 months - the rest of the time it has either been in for repairs (totally cannibalised by Nextbyte - whom I will NEVER go to again, not even to buy an iPod shuffle) or sat on my desk doing nothing.

The phrase "it's a Mac and it just works" has certainly worn thin in this case and I am certainly wondering if I have made a mistake or did I just take it up too early and didn't allow for it to be tested on the market first. Certainly a principle I would apply before purchasing any Microsoft products but never thought I would be faced with that prospect when purchasing an Apple product. My faith in Apple has certainly lessened throughout this experience and I'm just wondering if anyone else feels like they are dropping the ball."

Wow that's just crazy. Here's a guy who *was* completely sold on the idea of Macs (after all we bought Mac minis at the same time) and after Nextbyte's very poor treatment with his iMac, this issue has just grown out of proportion. Had Nextbyte had done the right thing and replaced the machine like they were suppose to, instead of supplying Oddbod with a machine with 2nd hand faulty parts (including a rusted CMOS battery and missing screws), they would have retained him (and others) as customers.

Now all because of their cost-cutting or whatever, they've alienated someone who was vocal about how good Apple are. On a side note, I'm still using my iMac G5 which is 5 and half years old and has never had a problem. In the same time period, I've been through 3 PCs and about 6 power supplies.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home